Hydroelectric Power plant and factory site

Overview from  south as a bird's eye view

The entire plant consists of the hydraulic structures and the turbine plant. The 200 m long Side weir (1),  conducts the water of the river Reuss to the Head Race Channel(4). The amount of water can be regulated with four sluice gates (3). The water flows through the 580 m long headrace channel to the turbine building (5). If the turbine is not in operation, the water flows through the bypass into the tailwater. The bypass can be closed with a slide valve. By opening the sluice in front of the turbine the water flow is directed tby guide blades to the Francis turbine and then passes through the siphon into the tailwater channel (6), which opens into the river Reuss  after 980 m.

Inside the power house, the rotation of the bevel gears and transmissions can neither be overlooked nor overheard. These mechanical transmissions drive the generator to 1000 revolutions per minute. A regulator controls the exact speed in order to achieve the grid frequency of 50 Hertz.

The machines and drives that can be seen today date from 1920, when the looms were converted to electrical operation. Before that time, the up to 300 looms could be driven directly via the king shaft by means of transmissions. Further details about the past of the plant from 1836 onwards can be found under the topic history.

you are here ▼